As a rule I don't listen to a lot of radio as I don't believe that a lot of the programming caters to my interests and enjoyment. One programme that I will willingly sit down and listen to though is Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews, broadcast on Fridays between 2pm and 4pm on BBC Radio 5 Live.The show features interviews with filmmakers who might be promoting a new film or just in the public eye at that time, a list of the top 10 films at the box office, letters from viewers and of course reviews of the latest films, both mainstream blockbusters and smaller independent films.
Mark Kermode is the main film critic on the show and certainly has his own style of presenting and criticism, making him unique and often fun to listen to. Though at times he can come off as picky, opinionated and on the odd occasion slightly immature, it is still interesting and entertaining to listen to his thoughts. Where most critics will judge a film solely on its visual elements and story, measuring a movie's pros and cons, Kermode does not just this but also analyses the film as an experience and whether or not it was forfilling enough and worth your time to go and see.
Simon Mayo makes less of an impression, seeming a lot like Kermode's right hand man or dare I say 'sidekick', although he offers his thoughts on some films they very rarely have the same comic or thought provoking nature of Kermode's. That being said it is still a lot of fun to listen to the banter between the two critics and how they play off eachother really makes the show special, you couldn't have one without the other, they're almost like a double act.
Unlike most reviews this show doesn't take itself too seriously and isn't scared of adding humour, as previously mentioned the banter between the two critics is fun to listen to and reminds me of Siskel and Ebert to a degree. They even dub their show "Wittertainment", they know what they are and they embrace it. They even have running gags such as: Kermode's hatred of 3D, impressions of actors and film characters (done by Kermode), Kermode's apparently large hands, the duo's comic attempts at avoiding spoilers and they have even created their own code of conduct for cinema patrons.
What's also great about the show is that blockbusters at the multiplexes aren't always the main focus and independant films likely to be shown in local independant cinemas are given more focus and generally get better reviews than the mainstream films, this is brilliant because they're using their large audience and popularity for the good of the smaller budget filmmakers struggling to make a name for themselves and a positive review from this show is likely to make more people enclined to go and see it.
This show is unique amongst radio schedules dominated by current affairs, music and sports programming and whiles I'd be lying if I said I listened to every episode it is still an entertaining show and podcast which is a must listen if you have an interest in film. (I usually only listen if there's a particularly interesting film being reviewed or discussed, perhaps I should listen more in case a gem that I could enjoy gets mentioned).
No comments:
Post a Comment