Thursday, 26 April 2012

An Empire of Dreams, aka George Lucas is GOD!


I love Star Wars.
Well, when I say that I mean the original movie from 1977 (now referred to as "A New Hope"), I've not watched "Empire Strikes Back" that much but I think it's okay, I like "Return of the Jedi", "Phantom Menace" is mediocre and feels like a kid's film, "Attack of the Clones" is unbelievably boring, "Revenge of the Sith" was flawed but enjoyable and I really don't care about the expanded universe.

But enough of my thoughts on the movies, today I'm going to talk about the documentary made for the 2004 DVD re-release of the original trilogy (remastered) "Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy".

The Documentary is what it says on the tin, a chronicle of the making of the original Star Wars movies and how they changed film making processes, the shift in culture they inspired after their release and the various challenges Lucas had to overcome in order to bring his vision to the silver screen.

The film does a particularly good job of showing the uphill battle Lucas had to endure to get the first movie made, from studio executives saying it would never work to trouble with the pioneering technology and other production problems. It does the same for the following two films though in a more abridged fashion.

The narrator (Robert Clotworthy) does a good job adding tension to the "story" through its more tense and uncertain moments, aided by the music and while it is all music from the films' soundtracks it is used appropriately, emphasising the emotions the filmmakers want the audience to feel.

In addition to clips from the movies the documentary features interviews with not only Star Wars cast (Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher etc) and members from all areas of the production team, but also American historians who add to the historical context and filmmakers who the trilogy inspired such as Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Peter Jackson. This aids the films argument that Star Wars was "inspirational to a generation". Concept drawings and rarely seen unused posters are seen along with audition tapes from casting.

All these elements make the documentary rather fascinating to watch as it provides an interesting  account of Star Wars' creation, it's production and legacy.


Don't mention THESE!
However, since the documentary is meant as a tribute to Star Wars there's A LOT of information missing. David Prowse who was Darth Vader's body actor is only mentioned a few times, probably due to his bitterness of having his voice replaced without his consent.

Though can you blame them?
 

There is also no mention of Mark Hamill's car accident between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, which scarred him for life, nor is the behind the scenes drama surrounding Return of the Jedi covered in any great detail, the film also attempts to make Star Wars seem like a Godsend to the world and anytime something apposes Lucas he's always portrayed as the victim, in a situation which usually resolves itself in Lucas' favour. The film also emmits the less well received elements of the franchise, including the infamous Holiday Special from 1978, the lukewarm reaction to the prequels and generally it feels like the film iconises George Lucas rather than tells the entire story.

That being said the documentary is still enjoyable for a Star Wars fan and for anyone who is interested in science fiction filmmaking. I'd recommend watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment