Monday, 12 December 2011

Audio Projects Update 12/12/2011

The sense of space project has changed from a simple background recording of a pub into a more narrative based project. Based on my original idea I posted about a while ago about people's response to an event in the same style as the audio documentary "Child of Arolyne".

In deciding what the "event" was going to be my partner (Bex Bell) and myself went through the usual BIG shockers when it comes to disaster-like events such as bomb attacks, fires, shootings and even off planet events (aliens). Before we settled on something that wasn't going to be too hard to achieve but was close enough to home and shocking enough to work: A shooting in a residential area, loosely basing it on a recent local news story (A man was shot dead in Pitsmoor)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-15511614

Splitting the recording of sounds we have compiled some "interviews" with "witnesses" to the shooting, the sounds of where they were and what they were doing at the time of the incident and how they reacted after it had happened, giving it a very faux-documentary feel and making it more interesting for the audience rather than just a random series of sound effects. I wish we had stuck with this idea from the start rather than going for the recently rejected idea as it would have given us more time to develop and refine it.

The other audio project (for Production Skills) I honestly don't feel is as strong as the Sense of Space. As I have to admit the recordings feel rushed and improvised at best and the atmosphere recordings aren't the best of quality, it doesn't help that whilst trying to edit we encountered exporting problems that don't render the applied effects (I'm sure we'll find a work around but it's just another frustration on the last leg).

One thing that I have learned from doing these projects is not to leave all the work to the last minute as it puts unecessary stress on those involved and makes the whole process less enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment